Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do YOU use to tow your track car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Total Cats: 7

Originally Posted by bahurd
A serious question...

Why is it preferable to tow with a tow bar vs a tow dolly? Anything other than expense of the dolly? The only experience I have with towing is with a trailer and really short local stuff with tow bar.
everybodys situation different, I chose flat tow,
negatives.-change wheels at track(if expensive slicks)/increased wheel bearing wear/catastrophic suspension failure means youre fxxxed/front bumper goes through rock chip hell/can't reverse/
positives-no tow dolly or trailer to store/under 5 minutes hook up/
pick your poison.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor

Total Cats: 2,102

Uhaul is picky in very odd, lawyer-ish ways. They won't rent trailers to anyone with a Ford Explorer, for instance, but Mercury Mountaineers are totally fine.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 PM
afm

Total Cats: 508

Originally Posted by endura
catastrophic suspension failure means youre fxxxed
I got a flat on my Miata once while flat towing it with no spare tires (running 200tw). That sucked.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 PM

Total Cats: 63

my biggest isue is that i am out of room, the u-haul dolleys iv rented geve me a very hard time when removeing the tire straps for some reason, maybe i had the too tight but once had to cut a strap to get it off!
just dont want to have a dolley or steel trailer outside getting rusty. I will make a rock shield that goes on the tow bar for now but i think that an aluminum open trailer may be the final answer ar some point for me
Old 04-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 315

Originally Posted by HHammerly
my biggest isue is that i am out of room
Same problem I have. Live in a sub-division and neighbors tolerate 2 miatas + pickup in the driveway which leaves the garage for the wife and tools

I keep thinking there's a business model for an old dealership building (or something) turned into "car nut condos" of sorts. Rent out a space and pay as you go on the extras.

Biggest thing I think would be sorting out the insurance issues.

Anyone ever hear of something like that?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Total Cats: 18

I keep thinking there's a business model for an old dealership building (or something) turned into "car nut condos" of sorts. Rent out a space and pay as you go on the extras.

Yes. There are places like that near Atlanta. Old warehouse style places will little walls built between cubicles. Each one with cars, spare parts, free-standing 4-post lift, trailers with cars sitting on them, whatever. Basically a secure, racecar community, storage unit.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 315

Originally Posted by Oh4One4
Yes. There are places like that near Atlanta. Old warehouse style places will little walls built between cubicles. Each one with cars, spare parts, free-standing 4-post lift, trailers with cars sitting on them, whatever. Basically a secure, racecar community, storage unit.
Any idea the base price and sq/ft per space?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 PM

Total Cats: 63

Same problem I have. Live in a sub-division and neighbors tolerate 2 miatas + pickup in the driveway which leaves the garage for the wife and tools

there is something similar here in Indy but no cars, only tools work space and smallish temporary project storage, last time i heard it was struggling a bit to get members.
A track nearby has garages and racecar services and lots of open track days and afternoons available for members but that is way past my tax bracket, almost got a basic membership when they started out with them in 2008 for 20k
I bet there is enough people that would go for something like that if you can get past the liability issues
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 PM

Total Cats: 18

Any idea the base price and sq/ft per space?
No idea. I was just picking up some parts and a little flabbergasted that such a place existed. A quick google search is not turning up the place that I am thinking of either. The units ranged from probably 20'x20' (enough to fit a car and a car worth of spares) up to 20'x40'ish. That one had a drive on rack, multiple vehicles and mountains of tires and parts. Plus lots of single parking spaces were available.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:31 AM

Total Cats: 5

Carriage House Johnson County Kansas Garage Condo For Storage of Hot Rods, Boats, RVs, All Your larges Toys

They are popping up all over the place.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:24 PM

Total Cats: 25

there is one opening in Seattle soon. It is called The Shop. It is a wharehouse space with lifts and tools available. They will have a restaurant and a speak easy. They're supposed to have lifts and tools that you can use as well as workshops that are supposed to cover a range of topics. They're advertising it as a country club for cars. I think it is about $1000 to get a membership and $300-$500 a month for car storage. It seems like a cool idea, especially if you live downtown and don't have a place to store your car. It's $300/month just for a garage spot in Seattle.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 AM
mkturbo.com

Total Cats: 1,683

I used my truck to tow my miata down to Tampa this past weekend. It was 1000 miles round trip and the truck did good. I averaged between 11.5-14mpg depending on how fast I was going. I am leaking about 2 quarts of oil for every thousand miles though. Mechanics who did some work on it last week said it was the valve cover gaskets. So I ordered some off eBay, as OEM are expensive as ****. Hopefully in the next week or two I get those swapped out. I think I am going to try that charge myself because it does not look to hard. Overall I am pretty happy with the truck. Once I get all the maniac done on it that is needed, it should be good to go for the next 10+ years.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 616

Get some of these for the rear bolt.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 AM
mkturbo.com

Originally Posted by Monk
Get some of these for the rear bolt.
That is what I have seen on the youtube, that overall the job is not hard, but the rear bolt on either side is a pita. I think the videos I showed using a deep 13mm, then a wobble adapter, then a foot long bar to get clearance. Hopefully I can get it done without ******* up to much. The VC gasket set I bought came with glow plugs also. Doubtful I am going to change those, just because I have been reading that cheaper ones can break and then be a royal pita to fix if that happens.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 616

Yeah, just leave them be if you can.
If you break one, you'll have a really bad time.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 858

Does anyone use trailer TPMS? On the way to Thunderhill today I got a flat.

I had no idea it was flat until a guy in a pickup pulled up next to me and waved to get my attention. It was fine when I left home, 40 miles later it was like this -- no idea how long it was flat because the trailer pulled just fine. TPMS seems like it might be a good idea...

--Ian
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Total Cats: 316

Originally Posted by codrus
Does anyone use trailer TPMS? On the way to Thunderhill today I got a flat.
Not yet, but I've been thinking about it for exactly that reason. There's some discussion in this thread from TrackHQ: trailer maintenance - tire pressure monitor, hubs, tire change.....
Old 04-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 428

I've had blowouts happen before (not on my rig but another one I was driving across the country) and not even notice until sitting at a gas station and luckily seeing while pumping fuel.

On my triple axle I'm debating switching from 15" to 16" wheels and using E rated truck tires instead of trailer tires.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Total Cats: 24

Upgrayedd . Got Emilio's camera setup to park it as well.
Attached Thumbnails What do YOU use to tow your track car?-img_20170412_151043543_hdr.jpg  
Old 04-13-2017, 09:33 AM
mkturbo.com

So I am starting to research enclosed trailers for a purchase in the next year or two. I am not sure exactly what length I want. I know 20' minimum, but not sure how much longer I want to go. Talking to some people this past weekend, they recommended at least 24' as the extra 4' really comes in handy for holding things. Looking at vtjballeng trailer has sort of got me thinking about a gooseneck/5th wheel enclosed. What are the major benefits of that over the standard rear hitch? I know with a standard rear hitch I will need an anti-sway hitch. I am assuming that is not required with the gooseneck/5th wheel. How is the ride with the gooseneck/5th wheel trailer? Do they tend to be more stable? The F350 I have already has that stuff in the rear bed, so I know I can go that route if I need to. Are those trailers generally more expensive?

Also how is backing up with one of those? Is it easier or harder then a standard trailer?

Quick Reply: What do YOU use to tow your track car?