DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Miata Turbo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm Miserable!

Total Cats: 0
Default Miata Turbo!!!

I'm really new to turbo, but i've been driving miatas for awhile. All i want to ask you guys who knows alot about miata turbo is some questions i have about turbo. Is it reliable to put turbo on a miata? Like will the miata's 1.8L engine be able to handle the turbo w/o having much problems assuming the turbo is put on by professionals with tuning? Cuz i heard this guy said mazda engine have problems, and once it does it gets fucked up, so putting turbo on will just make the problem worst?? Well i dont really know so give me some insights those of you that drive turbo miata, you guys encounter any mechanical problems with your car after putting turbo on?
Leave a poscat 0 Leave a negcat
Old 10-04-2007, 01:12 AM

The tune is going to be what makes it reliable. If not, you get knock, and the engine goes boom. Going by what the name of the site is, I would say that it is reliable enough.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 AM

Check out the FAQ section and many of your questions will be answered. The Miata (MX-5, Eunos Roadster) engine is more than reliable and strong enough to handle forced induction. With the right tuning, the engine will give you many miles of pleasure. I'm currently running 9 pounds off boost on a 1.6l engine with stock internals. I have fitted an aftermaket ECU and 330cc injectors, other then bigger brakes and a Torsen LSD she is pretty much stock.

J
Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 322

Read this: https://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo-discussion-14/diy-faq-all-your-answers-one-big-post-4288/

Don't ever listen to anything your friends tell you about cars ever again.
The engine in a Miata is the same engine that came in the Mazda323Gtx which was turbocharged from the factory. Mazda changed the cam profile, removed the turbo, and put it in the Miata. It was designed for turbocharging and with a good tune retains near stock reliability.

Like will the miata's... Don't use the word LIKE when typing on the internet unless you want people to think you're a 14year old girl from Riverside.

Join SOCALM. www.socalm.org It's a huge Miata club with lots of guys driving boosted cars. If you show up to one of their events and start asking questions, people will love to give you a first-hand education. You can ride in a few cars of various power levels and get a feel for what kind of HP you're looking to achieve. 200whp is probably a good place to start. If you're going to buy a reliable kit with a decent ECU and have it installed by pro's, figure about $6k for everything. You can cut that cost down a lot by buying parts from different vendors and piecing together your own kit...

Check out these two companies and what they sell:
www.bellengineering.net
www.flyinmiata.net

And what year is your Miata?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 AM
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat

Total Cats: 573

Originally Posted by MazdaMitaTurb-Oh
I'm really new to turbo, but i've been driving miatas for awhile.

All i want to ask you guys who knows alot about miata turbo is some questions i have about turbo.

Is it reliable to put turbo on a miata?

Like will the miata's 1.8L engine be able to handle the turbo w/o having much problems assuming the turbo is put on by professionals with tuning?

Cuz i heard this guy said mazda engine have problems, and once it does it gets fucked up, so putting turbo on will just make the problem worst??

Well i dont really know so give me some insights those of you that drive turbo miata, you guys encounter any mechanical problems with your car after putting turbo on?
And the winner of the most egregious use of turbo at least once in every sentence goes to....
Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 AM
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat

oh PS I run turbo on my turbo miata and the turbo hasn't made my car less reliable really. I put turbo on it at probably 50-60,000 miles and my turbo miata is still going turbo strong. My turbo car is now at like 80,000 miles and is turbo daily driver.

but turbo does accelerate wear somewhat since you're working the engine harder with the turbo. use better oil with the turbo and change it more frequently for example. turbo.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Total Cats: 1

Originally Posted by y8s
oh PS I run turbo on my turbo miata and the turbo hasn't made my car less reliable really. I put turbo on it at probably 50-60,000 miles and my turbo miata is still going turbo strong. My turbo car is now at like 80,000 miles and is turbo daily driver.

but turbo does accelerate wear somewhat since you're working the engine harder with the turbo. use better oil with the turbo and change it more frequently for example. turbo.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,080

Cuz i heard this guy said mazda engine have problems, and once it does it gets fucked up, so putting turbo on will just make the problem worst??

that almost made me laugh. these engines love boost (to a certain extent). what year is yours? the only issue with the newer ones is slightly higher compression and the VVT and doodads
Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM

Total Cats: 1

I'm really new to NAWS!!!11, but i've been driving miatas for awhile.

All i want to ask you guys who knows alot about miata NAWS!!!11 is some questions i have about NAWS!!!11.

Is it reliable to put NAWS!!!11 on a miata?

Like will the miata's 1.8L engine be able to handle the NAWS!!!11 w/o having much problems assuming the NAWS!!!11 is put on by professionals with tuning?

Cuz i heard this guy said mazda engine have problems, and once it does it gets fucked up, so putting NAWS!!!11 on will just make the problem worst??

Well i dont really know so give me some insights those of you that drive NAWS!!!11 miata, you guys encounter any mechanical problems with your car after putting NAWS!!!11 on?
Fixed it for you.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: -5

haha ******* awesome.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat

haha, the miata turb oh Mad Lib
Old 10-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 8

i think you guys just scared him away
i see how this forum works now, great work gang...
weed out the weak...common, who is the guy that always talks about darwin in a case like this one
Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by whaaamx5
i think you guys just scared him away
i see how this forum works now, great work gang...
weed out the weak...common, who is the guy that always talks about darwin in a case like this one
he'll be back after reading the FAQ, lurk for a while, then show off his DIY turbo to everyone.

or, maybe as he gains knowledge, he'll decide that its time to choose a different username, and we'll never know who he is.

fast learning curve that this isnt ricer.net or even miata.net. someone who starts their own thread at their second post is one that will learn fast thru trial and error.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Elite Member

either that or get banned...lol
Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by whaaamx5
either that or get banned...lol
i was trying to be nice.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Elite Member

watch out magnamx-5, his grammer is almost rivaling yours

Here are some pointers to the forum, lurk around and take a good day to look at all of the old threads around and get ideas and answers. Then come back with more specific problems that have not yet been answered. To stick around also requires quite a very good personality so as not to get pissy and leave. Good luck!!!!

john

(and you don't have to put your name after all of your posts, just long ones that you are proud of)
Old 10-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Elite Member

so i take it your proud then, lol

Dan
Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

reasonably
Old 10-19-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm Miserable!

Ahhh sorry guys, took me a while to find my thread again, plus been busy with my midterm at uci so yea, thx for all the replies, helped me alot really, as of right now i might just go look for parts to get my diy turbo kit then have it install by some pros, there is a kit on ebay , garrett turbo t3, came off a civic, what you guys think of that? guy who sell it says add 50 bucks more for DSM 450's injectors, do i even need that strong of an injector ?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 322

^HUH?

If you're going to mention an Ebay ad, then just link it to us so we can see it. We can't tell you anything if we can't see it...

But, a turbo kit from one car will not bolt onto another. The parts are not compatible... specifically the manifold and downpipe. The flange that bolts the manifold to the engine does not have the same flange (or not that I know of)... and since a Civic is FWD w/a transverse mounted engine w/exhaust on the front side, the exhaust routes underneath the engine and back... while the Miata is RWD with a longitudinally mounted engine and the exhaust is on the side of the engine and runs back.

The turbocharger itself is essentially a universal item and will bolt to any manifold/DP that has the right flanges for it to bolt to and will fit in the space provided under the hood.

As for injectors, 450's are a good size if you're going with some sort of engine management (standalone/piggyback) but cannot be used with the stock ECU and the DSM injectors are not compatible with the stock Miata wiring harness and will need to be modified to work at all.

Did you read the FAQ that I linked and did you go to the FlyinMiata and Bell websites and check out their products like I linked in the 4th post?

Quick Reply: Miata Turbo!!!